Thursday, February 18, 2010

Let's Grow Old Together

Right now, it seems like a lot of my Facebook friends are taking a "fast" from Facebook. However, I have found Facebook to be a way to keep in contact with a great extended family and support system. Granted, it's not as good as seeing people face to face, but I am grateful to have all of them to encourage and support me through my daily trials and celebrations. Glad we are growing old together ... check out this great blog post from Brian Jones:


Brian Jones - The Official Website Blog Grow Old Together

As I have thought more about this blog post and how it affects my online friendships, I feel a huge sense of guilt over a couple of friends I let fall through the cracks. Granted, with 549 friends, I can't keep up with everyone.

For some of them, I'm merely a window-peeper - checking in every once in a while or "liking" a status update or photo. But for others, I'm more of a commenter or a supporter. If I see things seem "off" in their pages or if they've dropped off the face of the virtual earth, I have a responsibility to follow up with them. I'm thinking specifically of two friends who - seemingly abruptly - left their husbands and families for other men. If I had been a little more proactive ("hey, what's up? I don't see you on here anymore"...), could it have helped?

There are varying levels of "friendship" on Facebook, I know. But if I have begun a relationships - or extended a real relationship into the virtual world - I have a responsibility to that friend. To you. And I'm not going to take that lightly anymore.

1 comment:

Tabby said...

Good points. Facebook is definitely a blessing and a tool if you can discipline yourself not to spend too much time on it. (That's my problem!) Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I didn't realize you had one. I will add you to my bloglist! Love you!